Re: securing a fedora 12 pc on a lan

Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 28, 2010 08:34:04 mike lan wrote:
>
>> what about turning off ipv6 ?
>>

> If you don't need it, feel free to turn it off. I typically do.
>

>> installing rkhunter ?
>>

> If you wish. I typically don't. :-)

It is very interesting that this person is on a company LAN and is
looking for rootkits.  What makes you so paranoid?  If you don't trust
the local IT department, a lot of cleaning needs to be done.

Does your company have a policy that states key logging will be
installed?  If so, you have no recourse but to comply.  Failing to abide
by IT rules in most companies is immediate cause for dismissal.

However, I work as a contractor for the U.S. government and they have
forbidden the installation of such software unless the person has been
advised they are under investigation by Criminal Investigators and that
they have a legal right to gain evidence (again, the 5th Admendment
forbids this unless you are advised and then you have the right to say
"NO" or to request legal assistance in the form of a lawyer.)

Looks like someone needs to find a lawyer.  You need their advice if you
can proceed further with what you  are doing.

James McKenzie