Re: dynamic memory automatically zero'd

On Fr, 2010-08-06 at 09:37 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 08/06/2010 07:44 AM, Stefan Schulze Frielinghaus wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > if you allocate memory, e.g. via malloc(3), then it is automatically set
> > to zero. This is actually a security feature quite common nowadays. I
> > would like to know when this feature has made it into Fedora or in RHEL.
> > Is this a mandatory feature of some security policy as e.g. the Common
> > Criteria? I couldn't find much information about this. Therefore, any
> > pointers, hints and so on are welcomed!
>
> calloc() is the call you want to make.  The ANSI standard makes no
> guarantees about the contents of the memory you get with malloc().  In
> fact, calloc() was created for that precise reason.

No this is not what I meant. Of course if I want to make sure that the
memory is zerod, then I will use calloc.

I want to know if the question of my initial post is enforced by some
security policy or if it is just common nowadays. If my mind does not
play tricks on me, then this is enforced by eal4+ or something similar.
But I couldn't find anything about this. Therefore, I asked here.

Again: I know that I have to use calloc if I want to be sure that the
memory is zerod. But this is not what I care about at the moment. I
simple would like to know if the memory is zerod because of some
security policy.

Regards,
Stefan