Re: Realtek RTL8192E drivers for F13?

On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 09:39:54PM -0700, Dave Stevens wrote:
> Quoting JD <jd1008@xxxxxxxxx>:

> > I would first try and download a kernel source tarball from kernel.org,
> > and run make xconfig and select rtl8192e from among
> > drivers -> staging -> rtl8292e

> thank you. If the driver is in staging does that imply its routine
> availability in F14?

No.

Drivers are usually in drivers/staging for a reason, and that reason
is generally that they are crap.  Perhaps those drivers will work
for you.  OTOH, they may cause random crashes with potential loss
of data, etc -- YMMV.  Additionally, the coding practices, design,
etc used in the Realtek drivers in particular are...substandard...

In Realtek's defense, they do seem at least reasonably willing to
work with those who may want to fix/refactor/replace the drivers
they provide with supportable drivers under drivers/net/wireless.
Unfortunately, they don't seem to be particularly interested in doing
that work themselves.  Worse, they seem to be prefectly satisfied
with continuing to turn-out one crap...err..."staging" driver
after another...

John
--
John W. Linville		The truth will set you free, but first it will
linville@xxxxxxxxxx			make you miserable. -- James A. Garfield