Re: fedora power management not working in f13

On 29 July 2010 12:27, JB <jb.123abc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Chris Rouch <chris.rouch <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> The home directory is
>> shared between the two boots, so the configuration is the same.
>>
> Well,
> that may be the problem ...
> Unless you really have a specific reason to have a common home dir,
> I think you are asking for more or less unpredictability with both
> installations (even if they are f12 and f13 distros). You are going backwards
> and forwards (f12, f13) with your home configuration files.

Yes, but...

I was only intending to go forward, and not worry about backing up and
restoring /home. I appreciate that upgrades from f13 may alter config
files in such a way that f12 apps no longer understand them. In fact I
only booted to f12 to confirm that it was an f13 problem (and not a
problem with the laptop). And it still works under f12, but not under
f13.

> Your distro installation and updates put a lot of config files in your home
> dir ( the dot files) and unless you install exactly the same version of every
> program there might be conflicts.
> Every time something changes in the behaviour of your machine, your ability
> to understand and debug it is diminished (newly downloaded packages ?,
> new/changed config files ?, forgot about .rpmsave, .rpmnew ?, etc).
>
> Fedora is a fast moving dev environment.
> You yourself should not introduce additional uncertainty - you want to do
> some useful work with your machine on a daily basis, right ?
> JB

i'd love to. unfortunately i have an nvidia card which doesn't work
properly in f13 (neither with nouveau or proprietary drivers). and now
power management has also failed for me. I really don't want to have
to go back to f12, but right now I still need that option.

Regards,

Chris