Re: Still no kmod for new Nvidia

--- On Wed, 7/28/10, Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Still no kmod for new Nvidia
> To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 2:49 PM
> Once upon a time, Michael Miles
> <mmamiga6@xxxxxxxxx>
> said:
> > And before too much is said why does RPM Fusion have
> right on their main
> > page to contact The Fedora users group for help on RPM
> Fusions software.
>
> If Microsoft put on their web site to post here for
> questions, would
> that make it valid?
>
> Problems with RPM Fusion should be taken up with RPM
> Fusion.  If they
> don't respond, then maybe you shouldn't use RPM Fusion.
> --
> Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Systems and Network Administrator - HiWAAY Internet
> Services
> I don't speak for anybody but myself - that's enough
> trouble.
> --

If Microsoft puts such a statement, then if we ask here about something

We are in deep trouble, Need to call a Firefighter to put out the FLAMES :)

I agree with you Chris :), but sadly since the base system is Fedora even with nvidia drivers[from rpmfusion] people will continue to ask about it.

If Fedora folks, would not tell people, hey use rpmfusion, it incorporates nicely with Fedora packages, then it would make a difference?

Hey you want nvdia drivers, get them yourselves from nvidia, build them, install them, if your machine burns, rots, or dies you are on your own and Fedora won't take responsibility for your actions then the situation might be different?

Some folks quietly use nvidia drives straight from nvidia and they don't complain, they know what they are doing, others use akmod, or kmod, others have to wait till the nvidia kernel module builds?  but to each their own.

Regards,

Antonio

NOTE:
I am happily using nouveau on Fedora 12

[olivares@localhost ~]$ uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.32.10-90.fc12.i686.PAE #1 SMP Tue Mar 23 10:04:28 UTC 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

[root@localhost ~]# lsmod | grep 'nouveau'
nouveau               292645  2
ttm                    40321  1 nouveau
drm_kms_helper         22251  1 nouveau
drm                   135451  4 nouveau,ttm,drm_kms_helper
i2c_algo_bit            4073  1 nouveau
i2c_core

And yes, I am on older kernel than the one that you have, but I would like to run 2.6.34 here and am lazy to compile it :(