Re: Anything for home user and not the technical one??

On Saturday, July 24, 2010 06:49:31 pm g did opine:

> Parshwa Murdia wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 2:32 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> You're of course free to do so. Just realize the tradeoffs in no
> >> updates (especially security updates). ;)
> >
> > But at least you are always much much secured than Windows.
>
> depending how you have firewall setup.
>
> tho i do know someone who setup a linux 'honey pot' with no firewall
> and it stayed virgin for 4 months until his isp made him shut it down.
> :)

If it was still a virgin at 4 months, what exactly was that ISP's name (and
problem)?

FWIW, I do not run any firewalls on my local network.  All the firewall I
have needed for the last 2 or 3 years has been in my router. No one has
gotten through it that I did not give the passwd to.  I used to watch the
logs, but watching a Chinese or N. Korean source spend 16 hrs at a time
trying to crack it got boring.  No the router is not a commercially sold
router. ;-)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)