thunderbird 3.1.1 - how to create IMAP account

  I have some trouble creating a non-standard IMAP account
within actual thunderbird. At first, thunderbird asks for my
email address and tries som automatism. Of course that fails
for my university account as well as for my private mail
provider (strato) account. So I must go to manual installation.
But at this point, POP is preselectet and there seems to be no way
for selecting IMAP. How to create a "non-standard" IMAP account?

Thank you.