Re: OT: Cloud Computing is coming to ...

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 5:20 PM, Christofer C. Bell
<christofer.c.bell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 4:53 PM, Carroll Grigsby <cgrigs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Christofer:
>> Here in the 21st century we have considerable choice as to how we use
>> our computers. Gmail is just one of many possible solutions..
>
> I see that the joke was lost on more than one person.  My reference to
> the 20th century was not because I've no idea we're living in the 21st
> . Rather, my point is that that using an MUA that makes it difficult
> to read your email without enforcing your posting preferences on
> others puts you back in the 19th.

Come to think of it, I doubt the folks who missed it the first go
around are going to get it this time, either.  To speak plainly:
regardless of one's taste in MUA, one should not be using an MUA that
makes it difficult to read one's email without enforcing one's
personal views on posting etiquette on others.

If your MUA requires you to tell others to not quote, to not top-post,
to do anything other than post whatever they like, in order to read
your email comfortably, then you are using the wrong MUA.  If the
formatting of other people's messages cause you frustration,
helplessness, or anger, then you are using the wrong MUA.  If these
feelings of frustration, helplessness, or anger rise to the point that
you need to post about it and kick off long and useless threads over
the merits of various "posting styles," then you're using the wrong
MUA.

Yes, there are many options for reading email here in the 21st
century, and most of them, for the people who suffer for their use,
are wrong.

--
Chris