Re: how to uninstall preload?

On Tue, 2010-07-20 at 10:21 -0700, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 07/20/2010 03:49 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> >
> > I would imagine the "-y" would be rather dangerous,
> > as "yum remove" often tries to remove many packages
> > required by other applications.
>
> I don't think that's quite true.  If you tell yum to remove a package,
> it'll remove that package and any package that requires it.

I believe what Timothy meant was something along the lines of what
happens if you try to remove, say, xorg-x11-server-Xorg, which would
probably result in the removal of every GUI application since they all
depend on an X server. This is an obvious and therefore stupid example
to illustrate the point,  which is that it would be easy to attempt
removing something that many other things depended on, and if you use
the -y flag, many things you wanted to keep could be gone before you
realized what was happening. That is why -y is dangerous.

--Greg