Re: My laptop Speakers Doesn't Mute then i connect the headphones on FC13

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 09:59:11AM -0700, JD wrote:
>   On 07/20/2010 08:29 AM, David A. Paredes Rios wrote:
> > With the command alsamixer -c 0  i get this options:
> > Master --- PCM --- Mic -- Mic Boos --- Beep --- Dock  --- Dock Mic
> > ---- Dock mic boost --- Internal mic --- Internal mic boost
> >
> > Nothing else with alsamixer -c0
> >
> I hate to be an harbinger of bad news - but...
> muting the pc speakers when you plug in the headset
> is done by the headset jack or soundcard itself, and
> not by software. It is a mechanical event. Pushing in
> the headset causes a disconnect in the loop that feeds
> the speakers.

that's what I always thought, too, that it was like the old-fashioned
stereo where there was a mechanical switch in the headphone jack that
broke the circuit to the speakers.

but that's not the way modern laptop audio works. or if it is, then
I'm totally confused. why? 'cause on my eeepc 901 I had the same
problem, i.e. plug in the phones (or external speakers) and the internal
speakers continue to "speak".

Not until I found the right incantation for the config file this thread
speaks of did the speakers shut off when something was plugged into the
headphone/line-out jack.

Now if that's not  under software control, I don't know how else you
would describe it.

Fred

    community.
 --Roger Ebert, December, 1996