RE: XPCOM

> Smith, Herb <herb.smith <at> boeing.com> writes:
>

> > Hi all...
> >
> > Over the weekend I updated my FC12 installation on my Dell Inspiron laptop to
> FC13.  All seemed to go
> > flawlessly with one exception.  When I try to launch Firefox it gives me the
> following message:
> >
> > Cannot Load XPCOM.
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea what that's all about and how it can be fixed?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Herb
> >
> Hi,
> On my system F13 32-bit):
> # yum list xulrunner*
> Installed Packages
> xulrunner.i686                        1.9.2.4-1.fc13                    @updates
>
> #rpm -ql xulrunner |grep -i xpcom
> /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9.2/libxpcom.so
> /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9.2/modules/XPCOMUtils.jsm
> /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9.2/regxpcom
>
> If not installed, do it now.
> # yum install xulrunner
> JB

I checked it out and here's what I found:

# yum list xulrunner*
Loaded plugins: presto, refresh-packagekit
rpmfusion-free-updates                                   | 2.8 kB     00:00
Not using downloaded repomd.xml because it is older than what we have:
   Current   : Tue Jul 13 00:47:45 2010
   Downloaded: Thu Jul  8 16:35:01 2010
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates                                | 2.8 kB     00:00
updates/metalink                                         |  17 kB     00:00
Installed Packages
xulrunner.i686
1.9.2.4-1.fc13                                     @updates
xulrunner-devel.i686
1.9.2.4-1.fc13                                     @updates
Available Packages
xulrunner-python.i686
1.9.2-2.20100111hg.fc13                            fedora
xulrunner-python-devel.i686
1.9.2-2.20100111hg.fc13                            fedora
#
# rpm -ql xulrunner | grep -i xpcom /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9.2/libxpcom.so
/usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9.2/modules/XPCOMUtils.jsm
/usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9.2/regxpcom

So, that would seem to be in order.

I stumbled upon an interesting twist here, however.  The desktop launcher command was:  /usr/bin/firefox, which gave the offending response that XPCOM could not be loaded.  I noticed that the command on the browser launcher on the Panel was:  /usr/lib/firefox-3.6/firefox   and this works just fine.  Firefox starts without a problem.

While I now have a way to launch Firefox, the question remains, is this XPCOM this an issue that will affect any other applications, or is it now moot?

Thanks,
Herb