Re: Preupgrade F11 ---> F12 ?

--- On Mon, 7/19/10, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > --- On Tue, 7/13/10, Peter Diercks <di-listen@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I am running a server under F11. It is a remote
> machine
> >> which I have no
> >> physical access to. It has a network connection. I
> wanted
> >> to upgrade to
> >> F12 using preupgrade again, but this time I am
> afraid I'll
> >> run into
> >> problems due to the size of /boot (194M, 153M free
> space).
> >>

> >> Does anybody know if this issue has been fixed?
> >
> > Not that I've heard.  500MB is still the "safe"
> minimum (from what I've read) for /boot for preupgrading.
> >
> > Maybe, this will help:
> >
> >    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PreUpgrade
> >
> > FWIW: I've never had good luck with upgrading
> Fedora.  For that reason, I've always done clean
> installs on separate partitions keeping the previous install
> and setting up a dual boot in case things go wrong.
> >
> I normally hand configure storage, but on one old (FC6)
> machine I had let the
> installer do it, and a bunch of LVM stuff was used instead
> of partitions. This
> worked until I decided to replace the 64 bit FC6 with 64
> bit FC13. The install
> went fine, and the old LVM stuff was still there, but it
> wouldn't boot any more.
> I copied the appropriate stanzas from the x86_FC6, and the
> kernel gets loaded,
> then it says it can't find the LVM parts to finish
> booting.
>
> The pv (one partition) has x86_{boot,root}_fc6 and
> x86_64_{boot,root}_fc13 LVs
> on it. I can mount the fc6 LVs just fine, just can't boot.
>
> The moral of this story is that the O.P. really means
> "separate partitions" not
> some spare LVs you have. Very sad, I really wanted to run
> both, since I have
> some software which was not upgraded past FC6. Today's
> warning. ;-)

I don't use LVMs for the same reasons I don't "upgrade".  After using Linux for 10 years, I've got partition sizes pretty much dialed-in, at least, for me, and always custom partition.  I never let the installer decide.  It always decides wrongly anyway.

I never could see any advantage to LVMs (over "real" partitions) other than being able to resize them while they are mounted.