Re: suspend to RAM and NFS /home

Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 07/16/2010 10:29 AM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>> On 07/16/2010 03:10 AM, Terry Barnaby wrote:
>>> I have found that I have to use the network init script rather than
>>> NetworkManager. NetworkManager tries to unmount all of the NFS file system
>>> before sleeping and this hangs.
>>>
>>> So I did "chkconfig NetworkManager off" and "chkconfig network on".
>> I've already done that.  You're using an NFS /home and this works for you?
>
> I think this was the hint I needed.  I reconfigured my ethernet
> interface to use a static address rather than DHCP, and the problem
> cleared up.  Thanks, Terry!
>
> I don't think I'd have ever thought of that.  Watching the logs during a
> suspend, I could see that the ethernet device was suspended before a
> number of other things happened. I didn't really pay attention to the
> fact that dhclient was suspended by one of the pm-utils scripts.

There are issues with suspend and NFS. One appears to be that NFS tries to
remount before the network is functional, and drops the mount. Not highly useful
behavior.

I would like to have the NIC come up, then any VPN connections, then the NFS
mount. Which some hackery on scripts you can make this work if you automount the
connections you need. I had that working, but not with /home or anything I was
using at the time.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>