Re: Question on recording of audio output of steaming websites from sound card in my Fedora Linux 11

On Sat, 2010-07-17 at 17:53 +0530, ranjan sundar wrote:
> Hello all !!
>

> I want to record audio output from sound card in my Fedora Linux 11
> (from any generic audio source streams). But unable to do so with
> existing Sound recorder. Nothing gets recorded when i do so.

AFAIK you can't record directly from the *output* of the sound card. The
sound recorder is for recording input.

> I am playing Shoutcast radio online in my browser and looking at many
> websites i tried to do some steps on vlc,audacity etc etc. nothing
> works. Moreover those websites ask me to download the metafile and
> look for mms,rtsp and stuff like that and the do the recording stuffs.
> im unable to get those metafiles.

If your browser can play the stream, you can capture it. However it's
not a one-button procedure. You need to check exactly how the stream is
being downloaded and figure out how to intercept it. mplayer is pretty
good at this once you have the right URI. In fact it even has a specific
mode for capturing radio streams.

> Given this case is there a generic procedure to record audio output
> from sound card in my Fedora Linux 11 ?

No. As I said, recording from the output is not supported. I'm not even
sure it makes sense.

Also, note that F11 is now unsupported. You should upgrade your system
(that won't solve this problem but you should do it anyway).

poc