Re: Workspace switcher crashes at 20

On 17-Jul-10 06:45:16, Ed Greshko wrote:
>  On 07/17/2010 01:31 PM, David wrote:
>> On 7/17/2010 1:28 AM, john wendel wrote:
>>>
>>> Not sure if anyone cares, but I just got 25 desktops working
>>> on an LXDE box, so much for Gnome. But I really like KDE and I
>>> only use 2 desktops.
>>
>> I still think it has to do with resources.  :-)
>
> The only resource that would make sense is memory. So, it would
> follow that reducing available memory would reduce the number of
> workspaces needed to cause the crash.  Yes?
>
> Since my F13 is a VM I reduced its memory from 1G to 512MB.
>
> The symptoms does not change.  It will experience a metacity crash
> when 18 workspaces are defined but will only crash on using
> ctrl+alt+< or >.

I also doubt that it has to do with resources. As I described when
I first posted about the problem, when I install a Debian 5.0 (Lenny)
system on the same machine, again using standard Gnome, there is no
problem with 20 workspaces.

That machine has (at present) 1GB of RAM. When I identified the
problem, there were no other applications running except the Gnome
interface that one gets immediately after login -- I had just logged in,

As further evidence, I also run Gnome on a Debian 4.0 (Etch) in a
VM on another machine, and I have given it 1GB of RAM, and here
again I have 20 workspaces. I can have many applications running
at the same time on this VM, including RAM-hungry intensive computations,
and have never had a memory problem.

One might argue that Gnome on an older Debian is not the same thing
as Gnome on Fedora 13, so perhaps not a basis for comparison; but
that same argument lends itself to the conclusion that there is
something wrong with Gnome on Fedora 13.

If the problem really does reflect a resources issue, then I would
be inclined to suspect a memory leak problem, or a bug in 'malloc'
calls when the number of workspaces is increased.

Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 17-Jul-10                                       Time: 09:24:14