Re: F12: gdm, avahi-daemon, HAL, & ntpd fails

On 07/16/2010 08:46 AM, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> Geez...  everything was working find when I installed F12 but
> perhaps the latest update blew everything out of the water!
>
> My gdm fails to bring up X11 and falls out.
> I am however able to get into F2 and log in as root.
>
> Also, I noticed during boot up, the following also fails
> to start:
>
> avahi daemon
> HAL  daemon
> ntp    daemon
>
> I then proceeded to update once more and there is nothing
> more to update.
>
> So, what do I need to do at this point to recover gdm?
>
> Thanks-
> Dan

First, thank you all for responding!

What I simply did was:

1) Disable in /etc/fstab, all drives except /boot & /root
    due to selinux policies traversing mounted filesystems
    which I do not want mucked with...
2) touch /.autorelabel
3) reboot
4) After all is working properly, restore fstab as before.

What happened next was, as boot started up, I noticed
that the /boot & /root partition superblocks were out of
date and it was self corrected as FIXED

Continuing, SElinux policies was implemented and after a
time, gdm (X) started and I got my gdm login screen back -
so it appears the gdm system has recovered... so I was able to
GUI log in.

I checked all three daemons and they are running, but the time
clock is off by 4 hours, is not being reset, because there is no
network connections being established.

Previously, before the updates, I had NM running wireless, but now
the USB wireless device is no longer seen, so instead of trying to
this this problem now, I simply plugged in my Ethernet cable in, got
my network connection back, and then I noticed that ntpd has reset
the clock to proper time, as well as my IM, browser and the rest is
working with Internet networking.

So what is left to do at this point, is to figure out what blew away my
wireless connection setups...  sigh...

Dan