Re: Problem playing an avi file

On 07/14/2010 11:46 PM, JD wrote:
>    On 07/14/2010 09:24 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 19:45 -0700, JD wrote:
>>
>>> I have an avi file which when played with any of the linux players:
>>> xine, vlc, mplayer, ffplay, totem, ...etc
>>> displays the message in the video window:
>>> Codec Error: Use Windows Media player.
>>> then it issues the message: Redirecting to microsoft download page.
>>>
>>> I have never seen this happen before.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else seen it? How to get around it?
>>>
>> What does "file youfile.avi" say? If it says "Microsoft APF", throw it
>> away. It's almost certainly a trojan and even if not you can only play
>> it under Windows.
>>
>> If it doesn't say that, you may simply need a Windows-compatible codec.
>>
>> poc
>>

> You are 100% correct.
> I will warn the person who sent it.
> I will also scan my drives clamav.
> Should have scanned before trying to play it.

I have seen this so many times and I have been looking at this thread
and giving a little chuckle.

These are put out I believe by the movie industry to use up bandwidth
and frustrate someone to no end.

Always read the comments on your torrents. Also if the movie is not on
DVD yet then it is no surprise that you can't get it.

READ COMMENTS.....That will tell you right away!!!

Michael