Re: Problem playing an avi file

On Thursday, July 15, 2010 03:45:27 JD wrote:
>   I have an avi file which when played with any of the linux players:
> xine, vlc, mplayer, ffplay, totem, ...etc
> displays the message in the video window:
> Codec Error: Use Windows Media player.
> then it issues the message: Redirecting to microsoft download page.
>
> I have never seen this happen before.
>
> Has anyone else seen it? How to get around it?

Yes, I have seen it. You download a full 700 MB avi of a movie (typically via
torrent) and try to play it. It starts playing, then it displays the above
messages *hard coded inside the video stream*, and exits.

It's a hoax, coupled with propaganda. The very same thing happens even if you
actually use Windows Media Player to play the file, on a Windows machine.

Further, there is no workaround. The rest of the 700 MB of data is pure junk
and you wasted your time and bandwidth downloading it --- there is no movie
inside to be played.

I didn't try to scan it for viruses/trojans/worms/malware/etc., because I
believe you cannot get infected by playing a movie in mplayer (unless mplayer
has some serious security exploit that nobody is aware of). So just drop that
file and go find a genuine one.

HTH, :-)
Marko