Re: log messages F13

On 14 July 2010 20:58, Frank Murphy <frankly3d@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My /var/log/messages
>
> seems to have started hording info.
> It is now 112mb in size.
> Covers 3-4 days of info.

Unless this is a busy server, then that seems rather excessive to say
the least - mine is currently 14kB, but I redirect quite a bit of
stuff into other files.

If I had to guess I'd say your log level details have been changed, or
something is suddenly generating a lot of syslog entries/content.  The
former can be fixed by tweaking "/etc/rsyslog.conf", the latter by
inspecting the log file and seeing what is generating the bulk of the
content.  If it's not immediately obvious what is broken*, posting a
sample the log file here would be a great help.

* "broken" here includes the particularly verbose and annoyingly
multi-line (AKA "next to useless for automatic handling") messages
output by certain application servers - Tomcat being my particular
bete noir...

--
Andy

The only person to have all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe