Re: Minimum Required RPM Packages for Running Fedora

On Wednesday 14 July 2010 10:50 AM, siavash ghiasvand wrote:
>> >  tell us_why_  you want this "extreme minimal" install
> The first reason is: "Minimal disk drive" and the second reason is:
> "Prevent any future conflict" which means, on that "extreme minimal
> linux" all packages can be installed without any problem (must be
> guaranteed).
> I'm talking about some rare, custom-build packages which may conflict
> with Fedora base packages.

Okay, as I mentioned in my earlier post, for disk space requirements you
can try febootstrap. it is available in the Fedora repositories.

> Name       : febootstrap
> Arch       : x86_64
> Version    : 2.7
> Release    : 1.fc13.1
> Size       : 67 k
> Repo       : updates
> Summary    : Bootstrap a new Fedora system (like debootstrap)
> URL        : http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/febootstrap/
> License    : GPLv2+
>            : can use it to create a basic Fedora filesystem, and build initramfs
>            : (initrd.img) or filesystem images.
>            :
>            : febootstrap also includes a separate tool to minimize filesystems
>            : by removing unneeded locales, documentation etc.
>            :
>            : The main difference from other appliance building tools is that
>            : this one doesn't need to be run as root.

But this might not reduce your list of installed packages to something
as small as you are looking for. Maybe you can try the method I outlined
earlier to reduce the package list, and subsequently use this to reduce
the disk usage.

GL

--
Suvayu