Re: Install questions

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 00:45:33 -0400,
  Alex <mysqlstudent@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> - Is it possible to pass arguments to mkfs during install, so I can
> limit the size of the reserved blocks? I have a 1TB disk, and I
> believe the default is 5% for ext4, meaning 500MB is wasted.

Not from the normal screen. There may be a way through a ks file.
Otherwise you can either set up the file systems before the install or
change the amount of reserved space after the install. I'd suggest
doing the latter using tune2fs. You can specify reserved space less than
1% if you want.

> - If I choose the option during install to use all the available disk
> space, it splits it into two partitions, one for root and one for
> /home. What is the sense of that for a desktop system? Why not just
> create one large partition?

It can make updates easier. It might also help with backups, depending on
how you are doing them.

> - I have to install Windows 7 on this computer as well. Should I
> install Windows 7 first, then install fedora, and use grub as the
> bootloader? Will fedora automatically configure the dual-boot if it
> detects Windows on the disk already?

Generally the recommendations I have seen are to install windows first.
I think I have seen people say that you can install it later these days,
but I don't know the specifics of that.