Re: Dual-boot with separate HDDs.

  On 07/12/2010 07:43 PM, Dick Roark wrote:
> My main Linux box has suffered a motherboard failure. I am
> contemplating just moving the HDD to the XP machine and setting up
> dual boot.  If this isn't satisfactory, then it's a new motherboard.
> I could boot by selecting the desired disk using BIOS.  Is it possible
> have GRUB select the OS (disk) at boot-up and go from there?
>
> Thanks.
If your bios is capable of selecting which disk to boot from,
then there is no need to install grub over the windows' MBR
and windows' "boot".
You will definitely need to change the root drive setting
in /boot/grub/grub.conf to reflect what bios thinks is the
disk number in such an arrangement.
Also, you will need to edit /boot/grub/device.map
to map the linux disk to the linux disk name.
And thirdly, the uuid of the disk in this situation will not
match, so you will need to generate a new uuid for the
disk - and I will leave this to someone else to answer
because I am not sure it will work.
and fourthlu, you will need to edit /etc.fstab and put in it
the new uuid as well.

on my machine:
$ cat /boot/grub/device.map
(hd0)     /dev/sda
(hd1)     /dev/sdb
(hd2)     /dev/sdc
(hd3)     /dev/sdd

and in /boot/grub/grub.conf:

title Fedora (2.6.33.6-147.fc13.i686)
         root (hd1,0)
         ...... root=UUID=99c4a1b1-99c2-40e6-8d2c-44bba67ad7df .........
This uuid will need to be re-generated for the new arrangement.