Re: trying encrypted partition: a "doh!" question

On 12/07/10 08:35 PM, H.S. wrote:

> I recently installed Fedora 13 on a dual boot system. This time,
> however, I opted to have my /home in Fedora encrypted. Anaconda gave
> this option, I selected it and it asked for a password. Now when I boot
> into F13, the boot process asks for the password before continuing. So
> far so good.
>
> However, when boot in to the other OS (Debian), I can mount Fedora's
> /home partition without any problems and without any password. All files
> are visible there. What am I missing that F13's /home is not seen as
> encrypted from another OS?
>
> Thanks.

It surely was a "doh!" question! While writing down all the UUIDs and
mapper devices, I messed up the mounting of older Fedora installation
(F9) and the newer one (F13). I was looking at F9's home while mounted
on a mountpoint meant for the newer one. Fixed the mount point and now I
get the following error when I try to mount F13's encrypted /home
partition from my other Linux OS:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mapper/vg1-lv9,
       dmesg | tail  or so

Now I am looking for how to specify the encrypted partition in Debian's
fstab so that I can mount it from within Debian.

Regards.

ever having been read.