Re: DVD writing oddity

| From: Mogens Kjaer <mk@xxxxxxx>
|
| On 07/12/2010 08:22 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
| > In other words, the drive didn't seem to have a disk in it, or at
| > least not one that could be read as a raw bytestream.
| >
| > The script ejected the disk; I inserted it again; I ran the cmp again
| > and it worked.
|
| When is the disk ejected? At the end of growisofs, before cmp?

Sorry that I wasn't clearer.  The script ejected the disk after the
script's cmp failed, not before.

| You could try adding "eject -t /dev/cdrw" between growisofs
| and the cmp command.

That might work, even though the drive is already closed.  The eject
might introduce a kind of delay that would get over the brief "no
media found" state.

I have a superstitious model of DVD and CD handling because so many
odd things happen.

[A different example of an oddity: on Ubuntu 10.04, we are having
trouble burning DVD images with K3B.  It seems as if "something" is
mounting the almost-burnt image before "fixation" and locking K3B out
when it tries to finish the disk.  This didn't happen on Ubuntu 8.04.
I'm still trying to figure out if Fedora 13 has that problem but got
sidetracked with the problem I've just reported and also a DVD+rw disk
that went bad and made the experiments fail.]