Re: Thunderbird sounds -

On 09/07/10 07:50, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> On 08/07/10 16:16, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>>           I can tag Thunderbird received messages with color but what I
>>           really need is to tag them with a sound. I would like to play a
>>           unique sound as the output of an e-mail filter.
>>
>>           I can hear the incoming mail tone from other parts of the house
>>           but I would like to know when the message goes into one of the
>>           filter directories I've created, else if I am waiting for a
>>           response I have to keep coming back to the computer to see if it
>>           signals the awaited message.
>>
>>           Is there a way I can do that?
>>
>>           Bob
>>
>>           --
>>

> Have you searched thunderbird add-ons for sound? I think you may find there what
> you are looking for.

    No, it never occurred to me to search "sounds" to find an e-mail
    notification program but when I did I found "SoundPlus." I spent
    several hours fiddling with that. It had some of the problems Tim
    predicted plus others previously unimagined! The worst of which was
    that the configuration seemed constantly changing and the many tones
    became meaningless?

    SoundPlus works on the address book files, not the mail filters as I
    had expected. Mail filtering always works for me. It will even tag
    certain messages by listing them in color, a feature I neither need
    nor want. But if instead of color it would play a unique sound I
    would have what I was looking for. That seems clear and simple to me
    but I don't write code and must admit my ignorance in that area.

    Well, it's not a necessity, I can do without it, just thought there
    might be something out there that I missed. It's definitely not the
    add-on program I tried and uninstalled.

    Thanks for the suggestions.

    Bob