Re: Problems when creating Live-boot usb stick

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 11:22:26AM +0900, Abu Attar Musharih wrote:
> > Back to my main subject,  I tried  "livecd-iso-to-disk" for creating a
> > live-boot stick.
> > It did not work on my FC7, a couple of packages are missing
> > (checkisomd5 and udevadm).
>
> Can anyone let me know which package to download so the  two commands
> available?
> I searched the reps of FC7 and did not find any clue. It is good to
> have the persistent overlay setting.
>
> > dd if=Fedora-13-i686-Live.iso of=/dev/sdb1
> > 1382400+0 records in
> > 1382400+0 records out
> > 707788800 bytes (708 MB) copied, 589.826 s, 1.2 MB/s
>
> > Last step,  just need to "chown" the mount point for the media to be  writeable.
> >
> > root> chown username /media/disk/
>
> As shown above, the live-boot-stick is in the first partition which I
> can not make any change
> as it is created by the dd command.  I am curious how to change  the
> read only file system to be writeable.
> Thanks for any  the response.

As I said earlier, you could do what I did a couple months back:
boot up the live CD, and do an install with the usb stick as your
target drive. that gives you a normal fedora that boots from usb
with no writing restrictions, unlike the live-on-usb mechanism does.
I used an 8 Gb stick... someone said it won't install on a 4GB stick
since it isn't really quite 4 Gigs, and the live-cd installer wants
a min of 4 gigs.

I, being paranoid, disconnected the hard drives before doing that just
to make sure I didn't accidentlly install over what was already on them.
(having accidentally formatted my 500 GB usb drive that was the backup
of some important stuff, a few months ago, when I MEANT to format a
usb flash stick.)

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------
                         While we were still sinners,