Re: The quietness of preupgrade

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 9:43 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Robert Myers wrote:

>> Have you actually used preupgrade yourself?
>> If so, what was the length (approximately) of the longest pause
>> you experienced?

> I have used preupgrade multiple times on multiple boxes.

Then perhaps you can answer my question -
roughly how long is the longest pause you experience?
Also, if there are any pauses, where do they occur?

I try really hard not to be sucked into paying attention to long installs, so I can't really answer your question.

> I also just
> installed a bunch of other software that involves long downloads and
> installs.

I would compare preupgrade with other ways of installing Fedora.
I don't experience any long pauses with any other of the several methods
I have used (PXEboot, USBstick, hard disk install, etc).
All seem to keep me quite well informed about what is going on.
Is there some reason why preupgrade should be different?

Preupgrade is relatively new.  I assume that it's on a learning curve.

Robert.