Re: Gnome Menu curosity question ?!?

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 12:56 -0400, William Case wrote:
> On the Gnome Menu, what is the difference between 'Applications =>
> System Tools' and 'Preferences => Administration'?  There seems to be
> no rhyme or reason why some applications are placed in one category
> rather than another.

Yes, it does seem to be a mess.  Logically, you'd expect the tools menu
items to give you programs that let you do something related to the
system, but don't actually change any settings (e.g. gather system
information, browse the drives, view logs).  And the preferences menu
items to do with changing settings that will affect the system, and all
users.

Back on Fedora 9, I can see at least one thing in applications/systems
that ought to be in your personal preferences, the gconf-editor
shortcut.  When you use it, you only get to tweak settings related to
your own logon account, not the whole system.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.