Re: Converting DVD copy to AVI [SOLVED]

> On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 19:20 +0100, Athmane Madjoudj wrote:
>
>> Try Mencoder (MPlayer)
>>
>> mencoder dvd://1 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate="1200" -oac
>> mp3lame -lameopts br=128 -o dvd.avi
>>
> I think that still reads from the DVD drive. However I managed it using:
>
> mencoder dvd://4 -o output.avi ... -dvd-device VIDEO_TS
>
> The important option being -dvd-device, which can be a directory. You
> still have to figure out which is the "chapter" (4 in this case) but
> it's easy to do a test run to check as mplayer takes the same option. Of
> course there might be wierd and wonderful DVDs out there that require
> more fooling around, but this one worked for me.
>

>> You can see the man page for more options like zooming, scaling and
>> subtitle stuffs.
>>
>> man mencoder
>>
>> There's also GUI frontends:
>>
>> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/projects.html#mencoder_frontends
>>
> None of which seem to be available in Fedora, and the ones I looked at
> are all at least 5 years old. I find it odd that there isn't more demand
> for this sort of thing.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> poc

The support for avi files is WINFF as it is the front end for mencoder
that I use and works very well

If you need to play these an a Stanalone DVD player then yes you need
avi files
Kdenlive is another media type program that does more than just
conversion but the one I use is Avidemux. It is a bit complex but
extremely powerful.

The easiest to use is Handbrake but avi support is nil even though it
says it handles them

The need for standalone players to support MKV x264 is needed and they
are out there but expensive
h264 in the mkv container is the best format yet

Oh for my old win software Dvdfab platinum but getting it to run
correctly through wine leaves something to be desired

Cheers