Re: Bug in mailing lists; unfriendly to non-subscribers

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 8:47 PM, Greg Woods <woods@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 20:13 +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>> Fact: a community benefits from all kinds of contribution, even from
>> one-post people
>
> That is an opinion, not a fact.

So you are saying that it's not proven that people that do only one
post can benefit the community? I don't see why that would have to be
proven, it's just common sense.

There's evidence behind the fact that not only there is benefit, but
that most of if comes in that form (when you allow it, of course):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Tail

Feel free provide evidence of the contrary. Until then I consider it a fact.

> I happen to believe that the nature of
> the post makes a difference as to whether it is beneficial to the
> community. As an example, someone coming in and doing nothing but
> bashing Fedora without offering any helpful suggestions as to how to
> improve it is not beneficial to the community (this is not a reference
> to you in any way, it is just an EXAMPLE to illustrate the point). But
> this is just MY personal opinion, and I don't run this list.

Huh? The fact that B doesn't cause C, doesn't mean that A doesn't cause C.

>> I wan't aware there's a religious war about this,
>
> The "right" way to run a mailing list has been a religious war on the
> Internet for at least 30 years now. In this case the term "religious
> war" means there is really no proven right answer and there are strongly
> held opinions on all sides.

Evidence? If there is such war there must be tons of it.

--
Felipe Contreras