Re: preupgrade isn't efficient

Martín Marqués wrote:
> I'm doing a preupgrade from F12 to F13. yesterday I stopped preupgrade
> and started it again today. For my surprise preupgrade restarted
> downloading the installation images, which, with my slow connection,
> makes me loose more then 1/2 an hour only downloading the images.
>
> The question is, why does it download the installation images each
> time I start preupgrade again?

I suppose it was easier to do it that way and go for reliable rather than
efficient. After all, preupgrade is something you run at most every release, and
stopping it in the middle is not the usual use case, so "better safe than
sorry," it starts over.

I guess that putting time into recovery code was not efficient use of developer
time, and as long as it produces a proper upgrade when interrupted, the unlikely
restart case wasn't handled. As opposed to handled badly, which you really don't
want.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>