Re: The quietness of preupgrade

On Wed, 2010-07-07 at 21:56 -0400, Robert Myers wrote:
> > It really would be helpful if developers could make sure
> > that some kind of message, even if it is just a row of dots,
> > comes up from time to time.
> >

> The most general response to your request would appear to require
> violation of the Halting Theorem.  I think you could force a dot with
> an interrupt, but it wouldn't really tell you anything.  The program
> could still be hung.

It depends on what you mean by "hung". If we're talking about "in an
unforeseen state caused by a bug" then of course the HT prevents
detecting this reliably. However in this case I think the OP means
something more ordinary, "not finished yet because there's a lot to do".
This doesn't prevent giving a meaningful progress report.

poc