Re: no sound on F11, F12 and now F13 but sound on Omega 12 live??? wtf??

.
> I am wondering if OSS is enabled on your system.
>
> Please look for things related to OSS in
> /etc/modprobe.conf (if it exists)
> and /etc/modprobe.d
> Please make sure the line in /etc/modprobe.d/dist-oss.conf is
> commented out.
>
> Please do, lsmod | grep snd
> Please make sure there is nothing like snd-pcm-oss or snd-seq-oss
> installed.

I think you have this totally backward. There are many applications which use
the /dev/dsp* devices, and which will produce no sound unless they are present.
In fact, I think the majority of older hardware does not have support for sound
other than oss. As I look at my newest TV card it has stuff in /dev/dvb, while
the other 4-5 cards which have been happily in use do not.

To test (as root):
   modprobe -v snd-pcm-oss
   {test applications for sound here}

A lot of people have functional old hardware they can't replace, for financial
or technical reasons. That's why there is oss support, to support the hardware
which needs it.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>