Re: Question on /etc/hosts

On Jul 4, 2010, at 11:34 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Should the entry from the machine in question
> be given under 127.0.0.1
> or under its IP address on the local LAN?

Uhm, Yes?

I've done both in the past, and both at the same time. Fedora
currently seems to work okay with only one of those specified, I'm
currently putting the host's own name and aliases only on the
127.0.0.1 line, before localhost.

Actually, I'm not sure if I did that or if anaconda did that for me.
But it seems to function okay.

I've put localhost at the front of the list in the past as well. I
haven't tried it recently, don't remember what problems I had or
whether I knew why when the problems went away.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to tell a host who it is when
assigning DHCP, without using internal DNS. It seems like a waste to
run a local name server on every portable machine I have, just so it
doesn't forget who it is when it's on the road.

Joel Rees