Re: Help me troubleshoot this problem

---- Geoffrey Leach <geoff@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 07/05/2010 03:28:20 PM, awrobinson-ml@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > ---- Geoffrey Leach <geoff@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > Hardware:
> >
> > Motherboard: BIOSTAR TFORCE TF520-A2 AM2 NVIDIA nForce 520 MCP ATX
> > AMD
> > Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Brisbane 2.2GHz Socket AM2 65W
> > Dual-Core Processor
> > Video Card: MSI NX8400GS-TD256E GeForce 8400 GS 256MB 64-bit GDDR2
> > PCI
> > Express
> > Memory: A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
> > Dual Channel
> > Memory: A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
> > Dual Channel
> > (6 GB total)
> > Hard drive: SAMSUNG EcoGreen F2 HD103SI 1TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
> > 3.5"
> <snip>
> I wasn't able to discover anyything about Fedora compatibility with
> your Biostar MB, so you might well be in unexplored territory. It
> appears that the hardware compatibility lists for Fedora are no longer
> maintained, alas.
>
> The Nvidia FOSS driver for X (NV) might be a problem for you. I suggest
> you stay at runlevel 3 until your problems are resolved. If R/L 5
> causes you a problem after that, try the proprietary driver. I've found
> that it works well.
>
> You didn't say where your Fedora came from. Are you sure that it's
> clean?

Pretty sure. I used the netinstall CD for both 13 and 12. I checked the md256sum for the Fedora 13 iso. I downloaded both from the Fedora site, so they came from a Fedora-specific mirror. And there is the fact that I got the same behaviour from both.

Again, please keep the questions coming. I really want to resolve this.