Can't ssh?

    I have a computer with an on-board video that seems to have failed?
    The monitor works on another computer so that would seem to indicate
    a component failure and now I find that I can't ssh into it from
    either of my two other computers. I do "ssh 192.168.1.48" and it
    comes up "connection refused."

    I know I should have checked this before but it's a detail I missed.
    It is still running as an NFS server and it usually comes right back
    up if shut down for a power failure but I am uneasy about this.

    Any suggestions? it is running Scientific Linux 5.3, has been
    reliable otherwise and I rarely ever need to look at the display but
    when I tried to check something this afternoon I discovered this.

    Bob