Re: preupgrade isn't efficient

On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 21:46 -0300, Martín Marqués wrote:
> 2010/7/1 Frank Murphy <frankly3d@xxxxxxxxx>:
> > On 01/07/10 11:21, Martín Marqués wrote:
> >> I'm doing a preupgrade from F12 to F13. yesterday I stopped preupgrade
> >> and started it again today. For my surprise preupgrade restarted
> >> downloading the installation images, which, with my slow connection,
> >> makes me loose more then 1/2 an hour only downloading the images.
> >
> > With a slow connection, Preupgrade may not be right for you.
>
> Why not? Or better, why shouldn't it.
>
> All I'm asking is for preupgrade not to download something that has
> already been downloaded. Maybe a checksum or something of the files.
>
> > Can you not get a magazine with a DVD/purchase a dvd from an online seller?
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/OnlineVendors
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/LocalVendors
>
> Hard to find here in Argentina. It's an Ubuntu country.
>
> > or being a bit trickier (to some) use yum update:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq
>
> Tried it in the past and found out that preupgrade was much better.
>

> >> The question is, why does it download the installation images each
> >> time I start preupgrade again?
> >>
> > Check bugzilla.redhat.org for bugs?
> > Maybe file an rfe?
>
> I think I'll do that.
>
> --
> Martín Marqués
> select 'martin.marques' || '@' || 'gmail.com'
> DBA, Programador, Administrador

Hello Martín compatriota :-)

I think you can download the installation image first and then, when you
restart your computer to make the preupgrade, it asks you to download
the image or to select it in your hd. But I'm not sure. Maybe someone
else can confirm this.

Regards and good luck,
Germán.
--
Germán A. Racca
National Institute for Space Research (INPE)