Re: Save video stream?

On 29/06/10 13:21, Rick Stevens wrote:

> vlc is available from rpmfusion via yum.  Try "yum list vlc*":
>
> [root@bigdog ~]# yum list vlc*
> Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
> rpmfusion-free-updates                                   | 2.8 kB
> 00:00
> rpmfusion-nonfree-updates                                | 2.8 kB
> 00:00
> updates/metalink                                         |  13 kB
> 00:00
> updates                                                  | 4.5 kB
> 00:00
> Installed Packages
> vlc.x86_64            1.0.6-1.fc13                @rpmfusion-free
> vlc-core.x86_64       1.0.6-1.fc13                @rpmfusion-free

I had to use the instructions at "http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration"; to
activate the repo and then installed VLC.

However VLC will not run the video.mjpg file. That will take some more
investigation.
> The URL you used is typical of a camera that gives you an MPEG via web
> access (D-Link cameras use this a lot).  There's a web server built
> into the camera that gives you that, but there's usually a method to
> access the live stream as well.  Look at the camera's docs.

Newegg had these cameras on sale a while back, inexpensive "wireless
internet cameras" marked Zonet. I would not recommend them to anyone.
The one looking at the pasture out back is in the attic of another
building and it became intermittent in March as the weather began to
warm. It turned out it was overheating in an ambient a little above 80°
F. It had no ventilation in the plastic case, it was effectively an oven
and with the sun shining on it it kept failing, radio signal and all
would go out and would not come back up until power was recycled, the
ultimate in inconvenience for me. Zonet's suggestion was try and return
it to Newegg!

I eventually drilled vent holes in the case and added a tiny [45 mm
12vdc] fan. We have had record heat this week in Virginia, 102°, and it
has not missed a beat! I suspect that it would have worked well enough
most of the time if it only had some ventilation as it came from the
factory. Anyway that was an interesting exercise. The camera was spec'd
to work to 45°C in the Newegg data.

And yes it is configured from the browser much like many other things.
That part works well and I can run it at a low frame rate to preserve
bandwidth on our LAN, etc.

Thanks to all for the help.

Bob