Re: Top posting

On Sun, 2010-06-27 at 19:35 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-06-27 at 00:35 -0700, Julius Smith wrote:
>
> > * Top posting is more efficient for all if the context is clear
>
> Oh rubbish, it's just the easiest solution for the laziest.  Nothing to
> do with "efficiency."

I like the unconscious irony of "if the context is clear". The *only*
justification for top-posting is to be able to include the entire
history of the thread in such a way as not to force the reader to deal
with it. IOW it was introduced years ago for people who didn't
understand mailing lists, threading, or archiving, i.e. the business
community who had just "discovered" email. While that may have been
useful for a commercial interchange with maybe a couple of CC's, it's
completely inappropriate for a large mailing list.

Ironically (again) business rules in many countries now require
everything to be archived anyway, making the whole thing doubly
redundant.

[...]

> > * I have no problem with full quoted blather after the post as long as
> > I don't have to read it.
>
> I do.  It wastes my bandwidth and storage space, and everyone else's,
> and the server that provides you with this mailing list.  A thread with
> several messages, and some are lengthy, wastes an enormous amount, as it
> all snowballs.

+1

poc