Re: T-bird pop mail files -

On 25/06/10 20:11, g wrote:
> Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> It seems I ask this question after every new Fedora release. How do
>> I go about transferring my Thunderbird pop mail files from this F-12
>> computer to a second computer running F-13.
>>
> and you will probably ask again. ;)

    No, I don't think so, I've got the process pretty well documented
    now using either scp or rsync.

> in order to transfer your files, read and bookmark these links;
>
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Backing_up_your_mail%2C_address_books%2C_and_settings
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/MozBackup
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_to_another_computer
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_data_to_a_new_profile_-_Thunderbird
>
> also, check links within pages. check at bottom of pages where they show
> 'see also' and 'external links'

I will save this for reading and self-education.

> a 'cut and dry', easy method:
>
> in your old home directory, you will find a directory '.thunderbird'. 'cd'
> down thru path to 'profile' directory, where you will find a directory
> with a name of 'Mail' in it. below this is where your email accounts and
> 'Local Folders' are stored.

I am very much aware of the .Thunderbird files but had numerous problems
trying to copy them between t-bird installations and computers. Now I
have a simple method that seems to work faultlessly.

> copy the entire path from 'Mail' to a cd/dvd or 'usb memory stick' or 'usb
> disk drive'.
>
> open thunderbird in your new install and then close it. this will build
> your new '.thunderbird' in new install home directory.
>
> 'cd' down thru path to 'profile' directory, where you will find directory
> 'Mail'. rename to 'Mail.00' or what ever.
>
> you will also see a file in 'profile' directory named 'panacea.dat'. delete
> it.
>
> copy your old installation's 'Mail' from your backup to your 'profile'
> directory.
>
> open thunderbird in new install. thunderbird will take a few minutes to
> rebuild 'panacea.dat' for your accounts and emails. then it will open with
> 'account tree' collapsed. click [+] to left side of account names and
> 'Local Folders' and you will see all of you email folders restored.
>

>> I've been running Redhat and Fedora Linux since 1999 and have never
>> once succeeded in transferring my mail files.
>>
> follow above links and 2010 will be year you will set history for a new
> achievement. :D

I've finally done the "impossible," with a lot of help!

> questions?

Not yet thank you.

I appreciate your advice.

Bob