Re: T-bird pop mail files -

On Fri, 2010-06-25 at 12:05 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> It seems I ask this question after every new Fedora release. How do
>     I go about transferring my Thunderbird pop mail files from this F-12
>     computer to a second computer running F-13.
>
>     I've been running Redhat and Fedora Linux since 1999 and have never
>     once succeeded in transferring my mail files.
>
>     Can anyone tell me where to look for a clear and simple step by step
>     procedure for doing this? My daughter manages to keep her mail
>     messages [on her Mac] back to the beginning of time, mine never go
>     back much more than six months, some I would like to keep.
>
>     The computers are all tied to our LAN, I can put files on a flash
>     drive, cdrom, etc. but my effort never seem to be able to get the
>     job done. I will try anything ...
----
your emails are all undoubtedly stored in a subdirectory
titled .thunderbird (note the dot makes it invisible to many things) and
inside a generated profile directory but you could actually copy the
entire directory if you wish. For example, on my system...

 .thunderbird/3cdy05wk.default/Mail/

the 3cdy05wk.default is the generated profile directory and my Mail is
actually inside the Mail directory

Personally, I have found it more advantageous to run my own mail server
and even run fetchmail to get the mail from various pop accounts, filter
it, and then run an IMAP server so I see the same e-mail regardless of
which computer I use in my house. That is a bit more ambitious but
definitely a better solution for accessing email from multiple
computers.

Craig

believed to be clean.