Re: [OT] rather advanced video editing question

Hi Petrus,

On Friday 25 June 2010 12:33 AM, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:

>> >  Or use avidemux for simple re-encoding and splicing needs.;)
>> >
> Avidemux can only create avi files, am I correct?

It can encode almost all the commonly used containers using most of the
common encoding schemes. I have successfully extracted audio from saved
youtube videos and saved them as mp3s. Of course you need codecs like
lame, ffmpeg and their likes installed for all the features to be available.

> Also, it displays a weird
> message about the source video file using B frames. It asks whether one wants
> to use a different safe but inaccurate mode. One is required to answer yes or
> no, but it is unclear from the phrasing of the question which method one is
> saying yes or no to.

I have seen this before. It seems to be a problem with incomplete flash
video files. I got the same crashes. I ended up using ffmpeg from the
command line for those corrupted videos.

An example ffmpeg re-encoding line would be something like this:

$ ffmpeg -ss <seek-time> -vcodec <video-codec> -acodec <audio-codec> -i
input.file -t  <time> out.file

This will seek to "seek-time" in your input file then use the codec
"video-codec" to re-encode your video and "audio-codec" for the audio
for the time duration "time" into the output file.

I think you can choose "null" to discard one of the streams, or "copy"
to copy it as is. `man ffmpeg' is you friend here. ;) You will have to
fool around to find the best suited combination for you.

> When one answers either yes or no (I tried both),
> another message appears, stating that no audio decoder is found and that
> saving the file will generate a bad avi, but that audio saving will work
> (despite there not being an audio decoder!), but video will presumably not
> work. At some point it crashes no matter what you do.

As I mentioned above, to the best of my knowledge you need to install
the codecs for avidemux to work properly. I am very new at this, so
could be wrong on several points though.

GL
--
Suvayu