Re: multibooting linux

Patrick Bartek wrote:
<snip>

> Wouldn't the sleeping/hibernating system file have a unique designation?

i have never looked into what is actually done, but i would imagine that
within first few bytes of *swap partition* there would be some form of
coding to indicate if partition contained hibernation data. for sure, if
you designate in grub.config menu that there is a swap/hibernation/restore
partition, there is a check made during system boot.

as to bytes being unique to a particular distrib and version, i can not say.

if it does not designate such, there can/may/will be problems when booting
system tries to restore from a hibernation it did not set up.

> During the days of the 1024 cylinder limit a single /boot partition was
> SOP.  Never had any problems booting multiple Linux installs with different
>  kernels, etc.

'boot' or '/boot'?

how many of those systems had hibernation?

also, remember, 1024 cylinders were both physical and logical.

one cylinder could have been 2 to 256 surfaces, depending on how many
platters and read/write heads where used and how oem configured.

or was 64 or 512? too long to recall. :)

> True.  But, as you said, you'd have to be careful with the bookkeeping to
> keep everything straight.  K.I.S.S. is my motto.  Also, "You can't fix
> stupid!" ;-)

well i guess that shows i am not stupid because i do it and have not problems
with 4 different installations.

<snip>

> There are "other" ways, yes, but whether they're "better" depends on user
> needs and system requirements.

if one '/home' can be shared among 4 installations, i would say that is a
better way to make use of a '/home' partition and disk space.

> Used to when testing a particular distro for consideration, I would install
> the entire distro on its / partition.  No /home or /boot, etc. partitions.
> Then edit my default system's grub.conf to boot it directly. No
> chainloading. I might 4 or 5 distro tests done this way.  Not the "best"
> way, but it kept everything isolated and made it easy to get rid of
> completely when I wanted to.

this i do also, but after testing, i move user's home directory to '/home'
partition with a new name and then alter 'passwd' and 'fstab' to show
changes. '/boot' i leave alone.

> Today, I use VMs.  Much easier.

if i had fast multi core / cpu and enough memory, i would be running a vm.
at this time it is not possible.

problem is, when i can afford them, by then, with new mainboard, i will not
have to give up keyboard and thumb marble i now use because they are ps2. :(

anyway, as i said, what works for you and you can maintain, that is what
you should use. and 'you' as plural.

--

peace out.

tc,hago.