Re: Resizing LVM-formatted partitions

Once upon a time, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx> said:
> So how can I be sure of the effect of lopping a bit
> off the end of the VG and moving the whole thing up a bit?

With LVM, a physical volume (PV) belongs to a volume group (VG) and is
divided up into physical extents (PEs).  PEs are then allocated to
logical volumes (LVs).  When you take space from one LV and add it to
another, the PEs are just reassigned, not physically moved.

You can run "lvdisplay --map" and/or "pvdisplay --map" to see which PEs
belong to which LV, so you can know which LV is at the end of the VG.

You can use pvmove to move PEs from one PV to another (in the same VG);
this is useful for replacing a drive with minimal downtime.  I don't
know of a tool to move PEs around on the same PV though.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx>