Re: F13 - installation problem (Anaconda + Display)

>> I'm trying to install Fedora 13 on a Sony Vaio VPCF11C5E (F-series)
>> and I'm incurring in the following 2 problems
>>
>> 1. If I try to customize the partitioning layout, I get a python error
>> and the suggestion to file a bug. I just applied for an account to
>> bugzilla.redhat.com and I might try to reproduce the bug once I have
>> access to bugzilla. In the meanwhile, since I'm installing on a SSD,
>> I'm curious to know if somebody else had the same problem with this
>> type of hard drives.
> Not sure what's going on here, but then again I wanted a striped LVM
> partition (4GB SSD, 4GB SD) so I used System Rescue CD booted on a USB
> flash drive to setup my partitions. I only let Anaconda format them.

Oh well, I still haven't got access to bugzilla, so I'll worry to file
a bug when I eventually get the username and password (BTW, is that
normal that it takes "so long" - i.e. more than 24 hours - for an
account?)

>> 2. More serious: the screen resolution used is wrong and as a result I
>> can see only a portion of the screen content, which creates
>> difficulties both at installation time, when one wants to click on the
>> "forward" button :), and during "normal" usafe.
>> After installation I tried to install the nvidia drivers from RPM
>> fusion, resulting in a not anymore functioning system (the boot
>> process gets till when the fedora logo gets "filled up" and than hangs
>> there forever)
>> The graphic card is a Nvidia geforce 330M.
>> Specifying the parameter "resolution=1920x1080" at boot time didn't help.
>> Any ideas how to proceed?
> Try adding "rdblacklist=nouveau" to your grub kernel parameters in
>"/boot/grub/menu.lst". This usually happens after a fresh install
>because the initial ram disk still has the nouveau driver in it and
>once it's loaded the nvidia driver can't load. If the proper module
>blacklist was added by the package, which it should have been, this
>will be taken care of for you at the next kernel update but it doesn't
>hurt to leave the kernel parameter there.

Richard, thanks for your hint, but unfortunately this didn't fix the problem.
I now have a black screen after the "filled-up logo".
Is there a way to boot  and loading a "compatibility" display driver?
So that I can remove the nvidia packages...

I just came across a IA 64 specific readme on the nvidia website:
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-ia64/1.0-5336/README.IA64
I assume that the RPMFusion package redistributes this proprietary
driver but....Is that a typo or does the above readme really state
that the 64 bit drivers do not work with kernel 2.6???!!

> Also, once you do that it will revert to a text mode boot up, if you
> want the graphical bootup add a "vga=..." kernel parameter as well.
> The best way to figure out what resolution is to manually add
> "vga=ask" the first time and pick one of the available resolutions,
> such as 317 or whatever it is. Once you find one you like (this will
> also affect virtual terminals), add it to your grub kernel options but
> put "0x" in front of your choice, i.e.: "vga=0x317"
Actually this didn't fix the problem when X gets started... it still
leaves a portion of the screen chopped out...

I'm starting to wonder if these problems coudl have an easy happy
ending by just installing the 32-bit version of fedora. :)

Fede