Re: differrence between 'yum remove' and 'yum erase'

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 8:00 AM, Alexander Volovics <a.volovic@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 06:24:57PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> On 06/23/2010 06:22 PM, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> > 'info yum' does not supply any more details with respect to
> > remove/erase then 'man yum'.

> Erase is just a alias to remove.  Zero differences.

Again thanks Rahul.
Maybe the developers should remove this 'redundancy'.
Including both does suggest there might be a differrence.

I agree.  This can certainly be a cause for confusion for users coming from Debian (or Ubuntu, etc) where there's a distinct difference between erase and purge.  It seems yum's interpretation of either remove or erase is the same as apt's purge option, while apt's erase option ... isn't an option with yum.

erase - Remove all package files saves those that are marked as configuration, allowing the administrator to reinstall the package later with configuration already in place.

purge - Completely remove all package files, including those marked as configuration files.

--
Chris