Re: Howto add raw printer

On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 19:23 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> I think it should be pointed out when this is useful.  If one has a
> postscript file you'd use this to send it to the printer rather than
> printing the postscript file itself...for example.  Yes?

Not really.  More the opposite actually.  If you have a printer that is
*not* PostScript capable, and you want to see the actual PostScript
commands, you could send the PostScript file to a raw queue for the
device to achieve that.  Otherwise CUPS will filter it into the actual
page described *by* the PostScript.

It's useful if, say, you have an application that produces PCL3 output
for your specific printer, and you don't want CUPS to try to work out
what to do with it in case it gets it wrong.

It is sometimes useful to diagnose printing problems as well.  If you
have a queue with a PostScript driver (i.e. a filter), and things are
printing out correctly, you can send some PostScript as a raw job (or to
a raw queue) to bypass the filtering, to see if the filter is the
problem. (For example, foomatic's PostScript filter adds page counting
stuff to the input.)

It's also worth noting that you can just use 'lp -oraw ...' to achieve
the same thing, without having to set up a special queue.

Tim.
*/