Re: Calculating the target of a symlink

On Sat, 2010-06-19 at 22:34 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> > Have I misunderstood what "ls -L" does?
>
> Yes, you did. The description of the -L option reads:
>
>        -L, --dereference
>               when showing file information for a symbolic link, show
> informa-
>               tion for the file the link references rather than for
> the  link
>               itself
>
> Here "file information" means attributes like the modification time,
> the inode number, and such.

OK, that makes sense. In fact it should have been obvious if I was were
thinking clearly, given that the name is not an attribute of the file.
As ever, man pages mean what they say, not what you think they say :-)

> > better way of doing this?
>
> If you want to read the contents of a symbolic link, from a shell
> script, use the "readlink" command.

Great. Having cut my teeth on older versions of Unix where this didn't
exist, I was unaware of it.

Thanks Sam (and others who responded in the same vein).

poc