eth0 becomes eth1 after NIC swap

Hi All,

I have just switched motherboards (and embeded NIC) in my Fedora 11
machine, after the motherboard failed.  This changed my only NIC in
the machine from a Marvell 88E8001 Gigabit (driver skge) to a Realtek
RTL-8139 (driver 8139too).  Initially networking failed to start:

# service network start
Bringing up loopback interface:                        [  OK  ]
Bringing up interface eth0:  skge device eth0 does not seem to be
present, delaying initialization.
                                                       [FAILED]

I cleared all the old configuration I could find:

1) Removed old alias from /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf:
 alisa eth0 skge

2) Updated MAC address for new card in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:
 HWADDR=00:0c:76:dc:06:f9

3) And rebooted, yet after a reboot the kernel continues to call the
new NIC eth1 and not eth0.

# ip -o link
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWERUP> ...
2: eth1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> ...
# lshw
*- network
      product: RTL-8139/
      product: RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
      vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
      logical name: eth1
      serial: 00:0c:76:dc:06:f9

I have worked around this and restored networking by renaming
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 to ifcfg-eth1 and updated
DEVICE=eth1, and now networking starts OK.  But is there any way to
get my primary and only network interface called eth0?  Is there some
configuration I have missed?

TIA,
Mike