Re: bad HD sectors

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 11:43:19 -0700,
  JD <jd1008@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Greetings,
> I have a 500GB hd which smarts daemon says has 1 re-mapped sector,
> and 129 bad sectors.
> How is it possible to have 129 bad sectors, but only 1 re-mapped sector?
> Did the HD have only 1 spare sector when I purchased it?
> Is that possible?
> Drive was purchased brand new in factory sealed box.

Normally drives will not remap sectors until they have either been successfuly
read or they are written to. This gives you a chance to keep trying to recover
the data.

129 bad sectors is significant. I'd be pretty worried about how long that
drive will continue to work. If you do keep using, keep a close eye on the
number of problem sectors.